Mühlviertel flax farming and the beginnings of Leitner Leinen
Flax has been cultivated in Austria’s Mühlviertel district since the Middle Ages. A linen manufacturing tradition and linen trade developed here over the course of centuries.
So it is no surprise that in 1853, linen trader Franz Leitner acquired a building in Ulrichsberg in the upper Mühlviertel district and, together with local weavers, began producing canvas.
At that time, no one could have foreseen that the company would still be operating successfully in the same place and in the same building more than 160 years later.
The foundations for this longevity, however, were laid back then with diligence, entrepreneurial skill and a deep understanding of linen, a very special material.